Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 12:49 PM 6/30/2004, you wrote:

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:53:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: drm <cimice2351@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Spider rear end whine

Valery Danilov wrote:

>I wanted to tap into collective wisdom again. Never had to deal with
>differentials up to this point, but my "new" Spider has a distinct
>whine
>coming from the rear, noticeable mostly on deceleration, or coasting in
>neutral. Under load the noise seems to go away.
>What would be the most likely diagnosis in this scenario, and likely
>cure? In
>case I need a new rear axle, are they interchangeable between the
>years? My
>car is a late model Spider.

I don't know how loud your whine is, but some is not abnormal. Your symptoms don't sound like a bearing, but rather gear wear. A very substantial clunk in the transition between accel and decel is more important than the whine. I've driven cars with a rear whine for thousands of miles and it never got worse and it never got better. The only thing I found that has made some improvement, is the use of synthetic lubricants.
If it were mine, I'd drain it, refill with any good GL-5 gear oil, like Redline, Amsoil etc. and just drive it.

Dave Miller
Deltona, Florida