[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #179

> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:17:20 -0400
> From: "Herbert Neily" <neily@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] V6 Spark Breakup - Part 2 (Long)
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm still experiencing a perplexing ignition signal breakup in 2 of the 6
> plug wires in my GTV6.

[deleted]
> One component at a time, swapped the following into the GTV6:
>
> Ignition Amplifier (from beneath the ignition coil)
> Distributor (including hall-effect pickup coil)
> Ignition Control Module (beneath dash, above fuse box)
[deleted]
> Color me perplexed.   The only other information I can offer is this:  My
> old plug wires were a set of blue fiberglass-core wires (now discontinued
> for the V6, was IAP Item No. 23039).  These wires' resistance varied
> proportionately with length.
[deleted]
>  The shifting of the
> breakup, from the #5&#6 to #4&#5 wires, does suggest something odd going
on
> in the primary side of the system as opposed to the secondary side, though
> I've changed out virtually all of the primary side system that's devoted
> generating the triggering pulse for the secondary side.  I have not tried
> swapping the Milano's FI ECU, since I can't envision it having an effect
on
> the triggering of the ignition system - though I might give that a shot
> tomorrow.
>
> Thanks for reading and thanks for any input y'all would care to offer.

Bert - I've never owned a V6 Alfa that I personally had to pull apart,
but I think the plug wires are a red herring.
You've got weak spark on 2 of the 6 wires:  The problem has to be in your
distributor somewhere or the wires are cross-firing outside.

Having said that, swapping the distributors should have fixed the problem.

I would have bet tat the distributor shaft is bent or the shaft had
some play in the bearings.  Since that seems to be impossible, you need to
look at the distributor drive for problems.  On the 4 cylinders the
distributor
is driven by a dog on top of the oil pump but I'm blowed if I know how
the V6 works.

Good luck with it.

dave.
1975 Alfa Spider Veloce "Rusty"