imagine the shiftter could hit the giubo. That's assuming you still
have the original early style shift linkage.
	Mark

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:14:44 +0000, alfa-digest wrote:

From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] new GTV-6 puzzle

Last night I started up my '82 GTV-6 and went to engage first gear;
when I moved the shifter into the left gate, it sounded like the back
of the shift linkage was hitting the rear giubo.  What the hell?  It
also seemed reluctant to move forward into first gear, and I realized
that the shifter certainly seemed like it was a bit further left then
usual.  I returned it to center and tried again, and it worked
normally.  But at the next light it again sounded like it was hitting
the giubo, and first was hard to engage.  I didn't have any more
problems on the way home.  What is going on here?  Can something
break in the transaxle and allow the selector rod to rotate beyond
its intended range of motion?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6