Re: [alfa] "Captive nuts" (nutserts)

I used a few of these Nutserts this past weekend with good success, even though I didn't have the insertion tool. The patient needing the threaded inserts was an aluminum bicycle frame. The manufacturer forgot to add the threaded bosses for attaching water bottles - long story, but it was a free frame from a sponsor, so we fixed it rather than returning it, and they provided the Nutserts but not the installation tool.
I found them easy to install and they are working very well. Nutserts (at least those I used) are aluminum and have a knurled outer diameter to help them grip the surrounding hole as they expand. They work best when installed in similarly soft metals where the knurl digs in a bit for grip, though since they're not meant to be high strength the torque resistance shouldn't be a big factor. Those I used compressed squarely and gripped well, so I can certainly recommend this brand for Alfa use (the bicycle frame I used them on costs as much as a lot of used Alfas today). Another install tip is to drill the hole a bit small and enlarge it to size (test fit with the insert) with a rough file. The slightly uneven hole you will end up with also provides extra grip for the insert to resist spinning.

Jeff Matson
Harvard, MA
'74 GTV 2000