[alfa] trans noise

 Kevin asked about a screech in his trans.   My Giulia Super had almost
exactly these symptoms back in 1979, and I had a 50-mile drive home,
carpooling with students from college.  It wouldn't screech in fourth gear,
but did in all the others.  It turned out I ran low on oil, and it ruined
one of the gear bushings on the main shaft, second I think.  I gave the
trans to a Alfa mechanic, who replaced just that bushing, and put it all
back together for $80.  I drove that trans with no further problems til
1994.  So maybe it's just a bushing?