[alfa] RE: was spark plugs, now hotter vs. colder

Hi Jonathan:

Actually your cocoa powder description is right on the money for a sparkplug in the ideal heat range in a well-tuned engine. If you were having a pre-ignition problem, maybe it's just for need of an Italian tune-up. That's to say, get the Spider to an open road and drive it with the intentions of its makers in mind.

Back to the Lodge plug heat ranges. The 2HL is definitely a colder plug than the HL. I don't have a clue what was originally specified for your Motronic Spider, but in the earlier cars, their owners manuals specified 2HL's as an optional plug to be used for "extended high-speed driving". You may find that after a while of your normal short commute to/from work, the 2HL's may load up with carbon. But again, there's always a good excuse for an Italian tune-up. And, if the 2HL's are working for you, don't worry about it.

Regards,

Dean