[alfa] The case of Missing Timing Pointer

Hope some one can help...
I have a 1986 Spider Quad, and I would like to set the timing, but the
pointer seems to be missing. The marks are visible on the crank pulley but
no pointer to line up with.
I realize its a bit difficult to see, but I have searched and searched to no
avail. Is the pointer removable?
From my understanding the pointer is attached to the water pump, is it
possible that I have an aftermarket pump with no pointer? Any clues would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dennis Fisher
Anchorage, Alaska