[alfa] Relay in headlight circuit

I want to thank Joe Elliott for his outstanding and detailed "how to"
guide on installing relays in Alfas. Even though he does admit the lack
of elegance of adding additional fuses under the hood, he does have a
good point as to the necessity. The problem, of course is should he sell
the car someday, the next owner will have to go on an inline fuse hunt
should one blow. True, something made it blow so the cause will have to
also be found.

Gunther / aardvark is a good friend and my "supplier" of Talbot mirrors
and Cibie's which I sell on my site. Yes, one does need to be patient.
I've had, at times, needed to  make numerous calls to find out when
something will be in. That said, we both share the view it is most often
macho idiocy to install high wattage bulbs in cars. That is why I often
refer to an actual and logical  need is when someone frequently drives
at night in deer country - but can't think of too many more logical
reasons. The Cibie's for instance, alone, with identical wattage bulbs
will give you considerably more and better light than any sealed beam
and many of the less expensive "Euro type" headlights.

Yeah, I know, it's your car.

Just like peripheral items which start going out much quicker in the
drivetrain when someone increases the engine's h.p. considerably, one
puts a strain on the entire electrical system by unnecessarily adding
high wattage bulbs - even with relays. If someone has also installed a
powerful sound system and is driving in a rain storm with the wipers,
heater, headlight's on high beam, and listening to their favorite heavy
metal band at full volume - good possibility of finding yourself by the
side of the road with fried wiring, alternator, and / or battery on that
dark and stormy night.

Except for gray market's, the newest Alfas in the US are nine years old.
Most of the vehicles talked about on this Digest are considerably older.
Even those who have kept their wiring stock and without any "add-ons"
complain about Alfa electrical systems.

Jeff Greenfield and I have discussed how we both have pulled out tons of
yards of wiring from Alfa's where the owner had done "work arounds" or
felt he was "improving" the car.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA