[alfa] weird transaxle noise

I saw the new Harry Potter movie last night, and on the way home I noticed a fairly high frequency, but barely perceptable "wha-wha-wah-wah" coming from the back of the car, but only when I was off the throttle and the wheels were driving the engine. I figure it has to be coming from the diff. or gearbox, and probably isn't a good thing. I checked the gear oil today, and it was about a quarter inch low, by which I mean it was a quarter inch below the filler plug, which is probably insignificant. Anybody know what this noise is, and how worried I should be?

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6