[alfa] Re: 164 Challenge

Without knowing anything about 164's, or thinking too hard, I'm going to suggest a bad ignition switch. When the instruments come on for like .2s, does jiggling the key have any effect?

-Joe

At 6:28 PM +0000 6/11/04, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:22:47 -0700
From: "Karl Chen" <karlcchen@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] 164 Challenge - Italian mistress giving slient treatment over German rivals

Anyone has better experience handling family feud of car polygamy?

My 94 164LS engine cannot start with starter cranking. After several
cranking retires. Suddenly the entire instrument panel went out black. Now
I cannot even get starter to crank. When I turn the ignition key on, the
instrument is dead. No gauge is alive, no warning light turn on. Electric
windows don't work either, but radio and headlights and interior lights
worked as well as remote keyless entry. I checked all relays and fuses,
they are all fine. I am totally clueless now.

If I let car sit for several days, when I turn the ignition key on, the
instrument panel will light up very briefly like 0.2 second, but then
immediately got turn off. Subsequent retries afterward cannot light it up at
all. Not even unplug entire battery can let it light up briefly. Only let
it sit for several days will it light up very briefly again then it is all
dead again.

Thanks,

Karl