[alfa] Milano driveshaft questions ...help please?

Yesterday under somehow hard acceleration I heard a popping noise and I felt
at the same time something hitting the tunnel, looking at the mirror I saw
something bouncing on the street which was a piece (cylindrical shape) of hard
rubber that has a cross section of roughly 1 2/16 x 1 7/16 it was thorn at
both
ends.

I checked the engine mounts but they seem to be ok (they are also square
shaped), could this be a section of the front flexible joints?

I drove back home (+/-) 10 miles and didnbt notice anything unusual, however
I took care of not overstressing the drive train and drove very smooth
(specially during acceleration).

Questions:
1)      Could the car be driven with extreme care?
2)      Is there a way to inspect the flex joints without removing them?
3)      The most important one, how hard is to replace the flex joints?

Could someone please share some replacement tips?

Thanks in advance,