[alfa] Ign coils

    Hi guys.  Being a little weak on electronics, I've always wondered if
there's any reason why you couldn't use a coil from a car with electronic
ign on a carb car and std dist where the points are replaced by a Pertronix
magnetic pickup, say (like an early BMW 320i vs late, for example)?  Would
that setup be a cheap way to a hotter spark or isn't it that simple?  There
are a couple of other components involved sometimes, but I'm not sure what
they do exactly.  Some coils use resistors, some don't (Bosch blue vs red).
Opinions?  TIA, Ron.