[alfa] GTV6 voltage

In a message dated 5/28/2004 4:52:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
(Joe Elliott:) I took some voltage
measurements and it seems like I have a significant voltage drop
problem, much like last week's Spider discussion.  With engine not
running, I see 12.0V at the big terminal block where the 8 gauge wire
from the alternator meets the wires running to the battery and the
fusebox.  Fuse #5 to ground shows 11.9V.  Fuse #6 (ignition switched)
to ground shows only 10.4V.  With the engine running at 1000RPM (all
accessories off) these numbers become 14.5, 14.2, and 13.0,
respectively.  With all the accessories on at 1000RPM, these numbers
are 12.1, 11.8, and 10.8.
There's a drop, but I don't think it is as unusual as you do.  It's a 12v
system and your battery should be holding at least 12.5v and charging at about
13.6v.  Of course, with electicals running, there's more of a drain, and on an
older car with tarnish buildup and terminal crud and who knows what else, you
will have a lower reading.  But you have to have 12.5v to start the car,
because that's what the computer needs.  If it starts, and everything pretty much
works (for an older car) you probably don't have anything too unusual going on
in the electrical dep't.  But if you have the car running w/ lights and turn on
the wipers and the radio goes off, then you have a voltage drop you need to
address.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA
84 GTV6