[alfa] Re: clutch pedal pivot (J. Wright)

This has bounced back to me three times.  I hope I sent it incorrectly
and am
not feeding multiple copies to the digest....

Jerry Wright wrote:

> Subject: [alfa] clutch pedal pivot arm
>
> What could be going on when a clutch pedal pivot arm
> "strips."  ...
> The old part "stripped" out and now the replacement arm has done the same thing.  The mechanic now wants to try a weld.  What's missing here or what is being overlooked?
> 1992 Spider Veloce

I had the same problem.  Broken arm on pivot shaft (inherited from
P.O.).  Broken arm on replacement shaft ($) shortly thereafter during
clutch bleeding.  Sadness and
anguish.  Ed (?) at difatta bros. breathed into my somewhat skeptical
ear the idea that the flex hose was likely partially blocked.  And he
was quite correct.  In accordance
with the info that Mark Denovich already posted in reply to Jerry, the
second pivot shaft replacement I took to a local body shop and asked
them to put a nice weld bead
around the shaft to arm joint.  Which I then filed down to maintain
clearance for installation.  The stock part is simply welded where the
center pin penetrates the arm, a
smaller diameter joint of smaller torque capacity.  This may be a point
that is weak by design to avoid breaking something else, but it seems
not to be necessary.  If I had
replaced the ~$15 flex hose the first time, I'd have been OK.  Now I
have two two-piece pivot arm assemblies that need a bit of careful
alignment and heated attention to
become one-piece assemblies for spares.

Don't ignore the flex hose.  But maybe your clutch friction plate
assembly is frozen up and providing too much load on the hydraulic
system.  A good strong leg can easily
break the mild steel pivot joint.

Michael