[alfa] clutch pedal pivot arm

What could be going on when a clutch pedal pivot arm
"strips."  These are my mechanics' words.  I understand this has something to do with the clutch releasing as it should.
The old part "stripped" out and now the replacement arm has done the same thing.  The mechanic now wants to try a weld.  What's missing here or what is being overlooked?
If this is really mundane, please reply offline; it will be much appreciated.  The car is a 1992 Spider Veloce.
jwright@domain.elided

Jerry Wright
Mobile AL
1992 Spider Veloce