[alfa] Biodiesel

Two years ago my wife and I went to a biodiesel conference in Sacramento,
CA.  Most in attendance were fleet users, members of State boards and
commissions, and biodiesel consultants, manufacturers and resellers.  The
Penn State research is surprising in view of the many biodiesel experts who
spoke about its superior lubrication qualities.  Better lubrication is why
cars running on biodiesel are noticeably quieter than those on petroleum
diesel.  The Penn State research may be valid, but thousands of test miles
by vehicles in daily use seems to refute it.

Secondly, in one session a federal government scientist spoke about her
department's research on the use of various fuels, measuring their
efficiency from beginning to end, from growing the plants to burning the
fuel in a vehicle.  Some of the best results came from varieties of mustard
seed.  She said her researchers are playing with combinations of mustards --
there are thousands of varieties -- and are finding some varieties produce
biodiesel that has fewer pollutants than others.  She likes mustard seed as
a biofuel, in part because the mash left over after oil is extracted makes a
wonderful, biodegradable pesticide that does not harm humans or the soil.

I can dig out my folder from the conference if anyone wants to know where to
find the mustard researcher.

Lyford Hale