[alfa] Re: Why won't it run the way it should?

Doug Harris writes:
"Yesterday when I took it out, it ran fine for most of the
jaunt, but it had problems starting hot again.  Towards the end of the jaunt
and when I pushed it beyond about 3,000 RPM, it started to bog out..."

Doug, I don't know how you normally drive your spider, but it sounds to me that it is in severe need of an italian tune up. There is a good section about this in Pat Braden's book about it. The short version is, drive the car gently until it warms up, then drive the piss out of it. Flog it through the gears, up past the notated redline in at least the lower three(or until you hit the rev-limiter, about 6500rpm in my GTV6). Drive with reckless and wild abandon, throw the car into turns and mash the throttle to the floor. Enjoy the feeling of euphoria that ensues. This is the true joy of Alfa ownership. As caretaker and steward of an Alfa Romeo, this is something that must be done on a regular basis. If you want it to run the way it should, drive it the way you should. Drive, flog, and enjoy.

Regards,
Josh
'71 1750 Berlina
'72 2000 Berlina