Re: [alfa] Biodiesel, you're kidding right?

At 10:55 AM 5/26/04, Joe Elliott wrote:
>Very true.  Such a system would be more than the sum of its parts,
>too, since diesels like to be run at WOT even more than
>spark-ignition engines (from an efficiency point of view), and the
>hybrid setup allows the IC engine to spend most of its time at WOT or
>not running at all.
>
>-Joe

In fact, at WOT, one of the diesel's two advantages (no pumping losses)
goes away, and one of its disadvantages (higher friction losses) comes
further into the picture---

The balance point between higher efficiency due to higher compression ratio
and lower efficiency due to higher internal friction usually falls
somewhere around a mechanical compression ratio in the  range of 11 or 12
to 1 !! (ref.: Edward F. Obert)

Greg