[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #103

    Just a follow-up to my adventures with my 1991 Spider charging system...

    I found a local alternator rebuild shop that recognized the alternator
(brought it to 3 shops), and was able to build me a "new" alternator using
my pulley, fan, and "front" mounting bracket of the 65 amp alternator, and
meld it with the guts of a 95 amp Bosch alternator that is supplied to the
commercial tractor market.  Result = for $199 I got a *new* not rebuilt 95
amp alternator that looks identical to the factory 65 amp, but uprated 30
amps (40 at idle speed)  This includes a new voltage regulator as well, and
it tested on the bench at 14V.  I looked at larger Bosch alternators, as
well as fabricating mounting brackets to fit a Delco alternator, but it was
only slightly more expensive to go this route.  Probably less, since it fits
without modification to the bracket.

    I replaced the B+ wire with an 8 gauge as Dean describes, and so far, so
good.  There is a noticeable improvement, so hopefully I won't have to keep
abusing the Wal-Mart battery return policy, I've been replacing the battery
every six months, since the repeated charge / discharge cycles kill it.