[alfa] How to check for air leaks...HELP!!!

Hello all!!

I recently encountered a problem with my spider...

It appears I have an air leak on the intake side of the house causing the car
to shudder, but no stop.  It eventually settles out and goes again.  Others
have told me it is the rubber Bosch hose connecting the AFM to the hard
plastic intake that runs over the engine.  As the engine torques, the rubber
flexes and opens a hole, causing the AFM to shut down fuel to the injectors,
etc.

I have inspected the rubber piece and although it has some cracks, they don't
penetrate to the inside.

The Alfa manual states to apply air pressure to the system and use soapy water
to determine leaks.  Has anyone tried this and how well did it work and how
much air did you apply through what orifice?

Like most of us, we don't want to replace parts that are okay to find the
problem still exists as it can get expensive.

I would like to try the air test so I can pinpoint the problem.

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Bob Rand
1987 Alfa Spider Quad.