Re:[alfa] qualified defense of British cars (No AC)

Well, Andrew, as someone who has owned both a TR-3 and a Jaguar XK-140
(though both, many years ago) as well as a Guilia Sprint, and  a GTV-6
and has driven countless other British and Italian sports cars,
including Aston Martins, E-Types, AH 3000, Lotus Esprits, various
Ferraris Maseratis, Lancias, and yes, even Fiats, I'd have to say that
when it comes to sports cars, nobody did it better than the British -
except the Italians. Whether we are talking about the golden era of
sports cars (the 50's) or now, today, the Italians just seem to do it
better than anybody else. There is something about the way an Italian
car feels, that, while almost indescribable, is instantly communicated
and once you've driven an Italian car, you notice that 'something' in
every other Italian car, no matter how humble, and you miss it when
it's not there.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have my old XK-140 again, it was a
hell of a car. Totally, unreliable, of course, but when it ran right,
it was, to quote Dick O'Kane, "a car to challenge all the gods and
poets to a game of life and love."  I truly miss it. It was quick for
it's day, handling was vintage, but fun, and the engine was a joy just
to look at - and the sounds it made, The loveliest burble from the
exhaust, ever. My current paramour, the GTV-6 doesn't burble like that,
but at seven grand on the clock it makes this spine-tingling, sound
like the ripping of calico in front of a PA microphone that is worth
seeking out tunnels and streets with high walls beside them just to
hear it. The Alfa further rewards me by being as reliable as the Jaguar
was not, by having a fully functional heater and air conditioner (mine
has the Tropic-Aire option) where the Jag had this laughable circular
device under the dashboard with two doors on it called a Smiths
"heater" (I could never figure out how a car that ran so hot -even in
winter- could have such an anemic heater??!!). My Alfa is also faster
and quicker than the Jag. What it ain't is as pretty as the Jag. The
Jag turned heads everywhere, the Alfa only turns the heads of the
knowledgeable. Anyway, I digress. Forgive me. The British and the
Italians are the two countries which invented the sports car. The
Germans dabble in it occasionally, and when they do, they produce
admirable cars (Porsche, MB. BMW etc.). But the British cars have soul
and character, and while different from Italian cars, are every bit as
much fun - if you don't mind laying on your back by the side of the
road occasionally with the knock-off hammer banging the hell out of a
stuck S.U. fuel pump!

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'

George Graves