[alfa] Re: Ferrari 308GT4 vs. Alfa Romeo...

Yep. Can do.

The 308 is faster and quicker and has more room in it. It also handles
better. The Montreal has lighter controls, shifts better and is
definitely prettier - by a long shot - and looks more exotic.
Maintenance costs are probably cheaper for the Montreal with a couple
of caveats. The Montreal engine has chain-driven OHCs and the Ferrari's
are belt driven. Ferrari recommends that the belts be changed every
15,000 miles. The Montreal Cam chains are good for 75,000 Even though
the chains are major surgery and not cheap, the engine on the 308 GT4
will have had to come out of the car for that operation FIVE TIMES
before the Montreal needs it's chain changed once. The Ferrari 308 GT4
has Webber carburetors, and while fiddly, and somewhat fussy, anybody
can learn to keep them reasonably adjusted. The Montreal, OTOH, has
SPICA mechanical FI, essentially two of the 4-cylinder FI pumps
together. Luckily, these have only ONE "logic section" shared by the
two pump sections and the parts that tend to fail on these are in the
Logic section - so thank your lucky stars there is only one for both
banks. SPICA systems are not bad. On the contrary, they are very good,
giving identical power to the pair of Weber 40DCOEs that overzealous
enthusiasts often replaced the SPICA injection units with in Spiders
and GTVs. Most SPICA problems are, in fact, caused more by anxious and
ignorant hands than by any fault of the system. Keep away if you (or
your mechanic) don't know what you are doing. The second caveat for the
Montreal engine is the water pump. It's INSIDE the engine. "Say no
more", as the Monty Python crew would say! The biggest caveat is
probably parts availability. These cars were not officially imported
into the USA, and I, for one, am surprised at how many actually made it
to this side of the pond. Parts tend to be scarce (except for chassis
bits - see below), with many trim and cabin pieces virtually
unobtainable. If you are willing to wait, engine parts are available
but many have to be sourced from Europe, the UK, mostly.

Chassis-wise, the Montreal is merely a 115 (115.64 to be exact). Same
as a Spider, same as a USA Spec Berlina, a GTV, and a Jr. Zagato. Same
suspension, steering, shocks, brakes, wheels etc. The V-8 isn't even
that much heavier than the 4 to cause more understeer. Unfortunately,
it's parts-bin origins make themselves apparent on the road. There is
lots of body roll, a fair amount of understeer (but no more than any
other 115) and the car is rather unsure of itself on rough surfaces.
Using the Montreal's power advantage over its 4-cylinder cousins allows
the driver to overcome the push and attain a more neutral attitude
through the turns.

The problem with the Montreal is simply that the exotic look deserves a
better chassis than it got and the engine should be more powerful than
the mere 200 horsepower Alfa gave it. In reality, a stock GTV-6 will
keep up with it accelerating through the gears in spite of being almost
40 horsepower down on it, and probably outhandles it on a twisty road
to boot. People buy these cars because they are GORGEOUS - the epitome
on the front-engined, rear drive exoticar of the 1960's. The shape
belongs on a Ferrari or a Maserati or a Lamborghini, and it's to Alfa
Romeo's credit that they actually listened to the pleas of customers
world-wide after the car debuted at the Montreal World's Fair in 1967
and actually produced it. They built 3,925 of them in all between 1971
and 1977 when the last one left the factory. And yes, I'd love to own
one.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'