[alfa] RE: Ford Anglia

---------------
Hey now, a Ford Anglia ranks in the top 10 coolest cars to drive.   It's up
there with a Nash Metropolitan.    Where does one get an Anglia in the US
anyway?

Those not familiar with the Anglia, it's the flying car Ron Weasly had in
the second Harry Potter film, and the car Adrian from The Young Ones drove
(but, if you remember The Young Ones, you surely know the Anglia).
---------------

Anglia was the first car I ever owned (at age 16), and the only car I've
owned that wasn't Italian.

Short stroke 997cc pushrod, about 40hp, 4 wheel drum brakes, and sooo simple
and easy to work on. Not that it needed much.

Had to learn to drive again when I replaced it with a Fiat 125 (1608 DOHC, 4
wheel disks). With the Anglia you always accelerated with the foot to the
floor, your acceleration rate (if you could call it that) was governed by
when you changed gear. With the 125 I soon found that it wasn't wise or
necessary to always have the foot on the floor. Only mostly. The Fiat could
stop too.

Don't see many in regular use any more, but the Anglia is still popular here
as a pre-1965 class race car.

Sold some Fiat parts to someone once who had a 1608 DOHC Fiat motor in an
Anglia. Much cheaper than a Lotus motor!

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce
1989 Fiat Uno Turbo