RE: [alfa] Ferrari 1976 308 GT 4 (NAC)

I'm replying to the list here although there is no Alfa content since the
question was both asked on the list, and Ferrari ownership is something that
many alfa owners aspire to. If you are not interested use your delete key
now, otherwise read on ...

I own an '85 308 QV, a bit newer than the GT4 with many improvements over
the early cars.

The steering is a bit heavy at low speed, but once you get moving it is not
bad at all. The transmission (if working properly), and shifter (if adjusted
correctly) should be fairly smooth once things get up to operating
temperature (which can take up to 5 miles or so ... you thought an Alfa held
a lot of oil?). Shifting does require a bit more effort than in a 105/115
Alfa, and there is a technique to it. Move the lever towards the gear you
are going into with a firm pressure, and then wait for the lever to slide
into the gear. You cannot make terribly quick shifts.

There is an update that can be done to the clutch linkage on the earlier
cars that will greatly reduce the effort there.

Yes, parts are expensive and some stuff can be hard to find, but maintenance
itself is not too bad. Many parts are things that were used on other makes
and models of cars, so if you can identify them they can be found for a lot
less.

I find mine a blast to drive, and it still makes me smile after owning it
for close to five years.

GT4's are one of the bargains in the Ferrari world. That being said, buy the
best example that you can find at a fair price, a car that has been used
regularly (maybe 3 to 5 thousand miles per year) with service records and a
history is preferable to one that has sat for a long time.

Most people feel that the timing belts should be replaced every 5 years
regardless of mileage, so unless the car that you are considering as had a
very recent service try to negotiate the cost of the service into the price
somehow.

It is also a good idea to set aside a 10 to 20 percent of the purchase price
for any repairs and maintenance that might be required during the first
year.

Feel free to email me off list if you have any further questions.

Jeff (dare I list the cars that are in the family?)
1985 308 GTSi QV (Needs no further comment)
1989 BMW 750iL (affectionately referred to as the Bavarian Money Pit)
2003 Land Rover Discovery (Used when both of the above are broken, scary,
huh?)
1998 Honda Accord (SO's reliable sensible everyday car, what fun is that?)
1993 Miata (SO's fun car, I tried to get her into a giulietta instead, but
hey at least I never have to fix it)
1994 BMW 840ci (Dad's car, 160,000 miles and going strong, although slowly
be rebuilt one piece at a time)

And a whole bunch of alfa parts in various places ...