[alfa] Spider boots and radios, FWIW

A question was posed about which glue to use on a part for a 91 Spider
tonneau.  I confess from the Q I was not positive which part is in question, but it
could be the plastic forks at the front, which slide down to clamp onto the
folded top frame.  If so, I believe they were originally attached to a metal
base inside the "hard" tonneau with pop rivets.  The forks are subject to
breaking.  I needed to replace a broken one once and removed the old pop rivets,
leaving 4 small holes which correspond to the holes in the base of the fork.  I
used 4 small, short screws w/ nuts (can't recall the exact size) and that's
worked fine for several years.

Thinking back even further into the dim past, I recall that the Spiders in
the US about 30 or 35 years ago came with a radio blanking plate in the dash
bearing the handsome insignia of Pininfarina.  This had been removed on my 71 by
either a dealer or a PO, and installed instead was a Becker Mexico mono AM/FM
radio with, I think, 5 pushbutton presets.  The extremely unremarkable speaker
was screwed on under the dash and behind the center console, firing down at
the passenger's feet.  The antenna cable was snaked under the rubber floor mat
and eventually (on this example) out to the rear deck, just forward of the
trunk lid, where the antenna was mounted inboard of the fender's curve (IOW, a
weird place).  Still, it worked remarkable well.  The poor sound quality was
passable in a car that was almost always open anyway, and the radio pulled very
strongly in canyon areas where other car radios I had would lose the signal.
Anyway, I kinda recall looking into the choice of this particular aftermarket
job and learning the Becker was chosen because it was the model that would fit
the slot; perhaps that meant it was the one first or most easily located that
was made in metric units, but who knows?

Charlie
LA, CA, USA

91 Spider
94 164LS