[alfa] MegaSquirt Install Session @ AROC convention

I am officially on the schedule for the MegaSquirt installation session for the National Convention this summer in New England.

Tentatively, we are scheduled for Thursday morning prior to the practice session at NHIS.   This might be useful for those that want to get some tuning time on the track that afternoon to prepare for the TT the next day.

I will be arriving either late Tuesday or Early Wednesday, and heading out to watch the drags in the evening.

The tentative schedule:

Thursday 7/29 8am - 10am Classroom session.

Explainations of the MegaSquirt, hardware, software and tuning.  You will use this opportunity to load the software on your laptop and program your MegaSquirt.  You are responsible for your own programming so you need to supply your own laptop and be proficient in Windows.  There is a Unix version (Linux and beta OS-X).   I personally have not used this.   We'll have to make arrangements regarding alternate OS tuning software.

Thursday 7/29 10am-12pm Hardware installation.

This will consist of mounting and plugging in your MegaSquirt system and running a MAP tube through the firewall.   Some will take longer than others.   You are responsible for your own installation so you will need some basic tools and mechanical ablity.    Hopefully everyone will start but in case, we'll need to leave a little time for troubleshooting.    You will be responsible for getting practice time at the track for tuning.   Arrange that with the convention coordinators.    Street tuning is just as valuable if you don't get on the track.

Ok here's the deal.   The installation will be with all existing hardware except the ECU.   I will explain and load the MAPdot software that will work with your existing TPS.   I'll go over what's required to make changes to this and to remove the AFM.   The preliminary install will retain the AFM for it's IAT function.   You will be able to eliminate the AFM once you have the hardware to support the IAT, pre-throttle vacuum lines and air filter.   If you'd like to do that the day of the install, I can tell you what you'll need.   Your install will not be as easy as the others, so you might not get running quickly.

I'm charging $100 over the cost of parts for the unit.    The parts run about $140.   The current scheme I find best is to use the MegaSquirt case with a DB37 to L-Jet pigtail into the harness.   I can build the MS into an L-Jet box but it's going to be a little more labour, plus I'll need to source the boxes themselves.   We can negotiate that.

Michael Harris has kindly donated a section of the GTV6.org forum to coordinate this effort.   Please head over to www.gtv6.org and click on forum, then the MegaSquirt topic, then the New Hampshire Install sub-topic.   We'll use that area to coordinate, answer questions and get numbers.

I'll be asking for a PayPal deposit for the hardware only.   Mostly because I don't want to invest in an ECU for no-shows so I need a level of commitment in parts to know you're serious.

Please head on over to gtv6.org and post your interest in the session, what you'll be converting and any questions you may have.   Given the diverse nature of cars, I'll try to answer all questions.   I have successfully had a V6 and L-Jet 2L running on the MS.   If you're converting a Spider, there will be some additional hardware called the flyback board for the low-z injectors.   The low-z injectors on the V6 don't seem to cause any problems with the PWM on the MS.  The Spider does (blew up the MS several times on flyback on the Spider).

Hope to see your questions and commitments on the forum, and look forward to helping you modernize your fuel injected Alfa this summer.

NOTE:  Converting a Spica car is a far more complex issue as is a 164.   This can be tackled but there is a lot of homework to do prior to the convention.  If you want to do this, we'll need to communicate well before the install and you'll need to show up prepared.   If you don't you'll have a non-running car that I'm sure Mr Glynn would be happy to take your money to fix.

-Peter