Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:20:31 -0400
From: Bruce Giller <bgiller@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] GTV differential bearing slop

Yesterday I found the time to replace the differential seal in my GTV.  And to
my consternation, there was quite a bit
of slop in the large roller bearing that the pinion shaft goes thru.  The slop
occurs when the pinion flange was
removed; very easy to see; was some slop after I tighten the nut as well.  The
slop was on the order of a 1/16" side to
side (is this called "axial play" ?).  It appeared as if the roller bearing
cages were coming apart.  Not having much
experience with  differentials., should I start looking to rebuild the diff,
or get  a used rear axle, or is this just
normal wear and tear?

The GTV is my race/street car - the Spider is the daily driver.

Bruce

'73 GTV
'86 Spider