[alfa] 105 Benditalia Brake Boosters

Caxambu says: "I suspect one (or both) of my brake boosters leaking
fluid into the intake manifold. I am continually topping off the brake
fluid reservoir and never seeing any evidence of fluid leaking to the
outside. Not at sparkplug looks different than the others. Brake
function is good.

"What can I do to check this? Do the rebuild kits contain the necessary
parts to repair this?

"1969, dual servo (Benditalia), floor mounted MC."

********
Biba says:
Have someone follow you to see if there are fairly large puffs of white
smoke coming from the exhaust.

I would amend this procedure to the following..
1. Observe brake booster, to see where the vac line input is. (on ATE cars its about 10 o'clock from the standing at the front of the car perspective)

2. Visualize the brake booster partially filled with fluid, then arrange to make the right direction turn that will slosh said fluid towards the vac port.
3. Drive the car sharply thru the turn, and press the brake while making the turn.

The combination of centrifugal force, and the brake going in (which reduces the volume and pushes the fluid level higher) will better your chances of aspirating some of that fluid down the hose into cyl #4. When this happens (if your exhaust system is hot, anyway) you will see LOTS and I mean LOTS of thick creamy white smoke.

4. Resist the temptation to lay on demand half block long, 20 foot wide clouds of smoke that would make James Bond envious.. (remember kids, use this knowlege for Good, not for Evil..) ;-)

I fed a mysteriously thirsty brake system for quite a while (probably more than 4-5 full tank top ups) before enough leaked into the booster to cause this to happen on a turn and brake.

As I understand it, the rear seal of the master cylinder is the problem.. I'd guess the standard rebuild kit should have everything.. Not sure how quickly or if the diaphram of the booster is damaged by this, as I remember my mechanic at the time just did the MC rebuild and cleaned out the booster?

Jon
77 Spider