[alfa] RE: Driveshaft Vibration

Many THANKS to all who responded to my driveshaft vibration problem and especially to Skip Patnode. Its now fixed and my Spider is a joy to drive, again. I used a combination of methods but, basically, two hose clamps around the driveshaft with the screws together, to start, at the opposite side of the shaft from the maximum deflection under vibration. I found the point of maximum deflection by touching a screw driver lightly to the rotating shaft which left a mark. The two hose clamps noticebly reduced vibration, and still more when they were counter rotated slightly.

I paid for balancing at the drive line shop but I now discover that I could have done the job myself, although I've had trouble replacing u-joints before.

Happy motoring!
Gil
Port Orange, FL
1985 Spider