[alfa] Weber vs. Dellorto

If I'm remembering correctly, one of the other questions that Steven Thomas
had was whether to go with Webers or Dellortos if he went with the carb
option.  My impression is that used Dellortos can be picked up a bit cheaper
than Webers in North America, perhaps because of the perception that parts
availability is more limited for the Dellortos on this continent, perhaps
because Weber is just a more familiar name.  I've had pretty good luck with
the Dellortos on my Duetto and recently installed on my Berlina.  I'm
definitely not a carb expert but the biggest physical difference I see
between the two types of carbs is the accelerator pump.  On Webers, it's a
piston type and on the Dellortos it's a diaphragm.  The diaphragm seems to
give a much longer squirt of fuel (in duration) than the piston.  As to
whether that's an advantage or a waste, I couldn't say.  Perhaps Greg or
someone knowledgeable about the inner workings could comment.   One
disadvantage to the diaphragm is that it is located beneath the bowl so a
pinhole or a rupture means that gas will dribble (or gush) from the bottom
of the carburetor (AMHIK).  When I was jetting the ones I used on the Duetto
some years ago, there were some VW outfits in CA that carried Dellorto parts
but a recent perusal of a "Hot VW" mag at the stand seemed to indicate that
they're not used as frequently in those circles as they used to be.
Nevertheless, parts should be readily available from our European suppliers.
Where it may become an issue is if you want to play with the jetting.  One
of our local tuners, Abacus Racing in VA Beach, can dyno tune your car with
their big box 'o Weber jets but sorry, no Dellortos (the jets are not
interchangeable between the two).

Bill Sinclair
67 Duetto
73 Berlina