[alfa] Re: GTV6 Gas Mileage

Mark Manley writes:
"     I checked my gas mileage today for the first time since getting the car back on the road. Does 16.5 mpg sound really unreasonable? I think I remember getting about 24 - 26 mpg back in the early 90s."

Mark,
It is my experience that 16.5 is very low. In the 2.5-3 years I have owned my '84 GTV6, I don't think I've ever dipped below 20 mpg. How long ago did you get the car back on the road? When was the last time you checked the ignition components? I still have to average out a couple more tanks to verify my results, but after recently changing my spark plugs, my mileage jumped from around 22 mpg to 24 mpg. I'd check the plugs (#6 is easier with two extentions and a u-joint adapter in between. contact me for more details), cap, rotor, and spark plug wires. If you haven't changed these components out recently, it is probably a good idea to do so. Another potential problem might be the cold start injector. I have been told that these have a tendency to leak additional fuel into the system even after the cold startup period. Does it seem like the car is running rich? One way to test this would be to pull the connector to the cold start injector and drive it this way for a couple tanks. In theory it shouldn't be too hard to start this way depending on the ambient temperature where you're at. Another option is to connect it to start the car and then disconnect it. This is a nuisance, but you could theoretically run an additional toggle switch to turn current on and off to the injector from inside the car so you don't have to keep popping the hood. Yet another thing to look at is spark from the coil. I have noticed that mine is looking a bit anemic, and was contemplating adding something with some more strength. Obviously it's enough to fire the plugs, but when starting cold I have to "clear out" the engine (it stumbles until slight throttle is applied) whether I have the cold start injector hooked up or not. I suspect something else is probably going on, but am not sure where to start looking on that. Perhaps someone with more experience than I will chime in with some certainty. Also, any opinions about the benefits/detriments of a stronger/hotter spark? I figure this could generate some interesting discussion.

Regards,
Josh
'71 1750 Berlina
'72 2000 Berlina (Moxy)