[alfa] Re: Milano Verde Brake problem

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:55:26 -0700
From: "Michael Pordes" <mdpordes@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Dear Digesters,

I have a 1987 Milano Verde that has had the dreaded overheating,
trouble-prone ABS removed and been converted to a Milano Gold brake
system,
(conventional booster and pedal box have been installed)

It has a new master cylinder and a new proportioning valve, but when the
brakes are applied very briskly, the rear brakes virtually always lock up
and the car wants to swap ends!

My mechanic is a wizard but cannot diagnose the problem. The lines and
calipers SEEM fine, but we were wondering if anyone had an idea of what
might be happening here. I want to take the car to the CSRG Track day at
Thunderhill next month, but this behavior has to be corrected FIRST!

Any ideas or solutions are appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Pordes

As I reported earlier, I believe that your brake lines are mis-routed.
Due to numberous inquiries and  since the workshop manual offers no
diagram TMK,  I'll attempt to give you a verbal diagram; LH drive only.

From the driver's seat; BMC (brake master cylinder) front outlet pointing
down goes to RF brake caliper.  BMC middle outlet connects to BPV (brake
proportioning valve) RF inlet.  BMC rear outlet connects to BPV rear
inlet.  BPV LF outlet connects to LF brake caliper.  BPV  center outlet
connects to rear brakes common line.

Mix them up and you'll have the rear receiving front pressure (100%), one
of the fronts receiving only 25% and what you described is exactly what
happens.

Graham L. Davis'89 Milano Verde, etc.St. Louis, MO