Re: [alfa] L-Jetronic Idle Mixture

Tom,

It just so happens I was reading info on this from a website I printed out for a plane trip this afternoon...

http://www.oldebottles.com/italiancarspage3.htm

Take a look at step 11.

kevin
86 Spider

Tom O'Neil wrote:

Ciao a tutti,

I have a 1984 L-Jetronic Spider. The car runs fine, but it has a rich idle, judging from the smell and from the carbon soot on the floor of my garage. What's driving me crazy is that the idle mixture adjustment screw doesn't seem to do anything.

As I don't have access to a gas analyzer, I'm using the oxygen sensor voltage method of setting the idle mixture. At idle, and with the O2 sensor nice and hot, you disconnect the O2 sensor and check voltage from the sensor to ground, using a high-impedance digital multimeter. The correct idle mixture should show about 500 mV. (To be more specific, you can check the high and low range of the sensor and then set the idle mixture at the halfway point, which should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 mV.)

I can turn the mixture screw from "full in" to "full out" and the voltage hardly budges from about 900 mV. I'm convinced that the O2 sensor is OK, because if I introduce some unmetered air into the stream (e.g.: by cracking open a hose), the voltage drops quickly and predictably. This led me to think that there might be an obstruction in the airflow meter. I removed the AFM from the air box and was able to pass a thin wire from one end of the idle air passage to the other, so there's no obvious obstruction there.

This is pretty straightforward stuff, and shouldn't be so freakin' confusing. Can anybody tell me what I'm overlooking??

Grazie mille.

Tom O'Neil
'84 Spider Veloce