[alfa] 164 road trip report (short)

Just returned from a 5-day road trip from San Francisco to Utah/south-eastern Colorado in my 164.  The car ran flawlessly and is a perfect vehicle for long-distance jaunts.  I used backroads whenever possible, including Nevada's Highway 50, the "Loneliest Road in America."  Canyonlands in UT was awesome; I'll be back soon for further exploration.

I encourage everyone to travel the lost highways & biways of this great land and spend a little money -- many historic towns are hurting and could use the business.  And instead of the fast-food chains founds along the interstates, these towns often have great mom & pop restaurants boasting local cuisine.

The only appalling driving I encountered was leaving Las Vegas westbound on the interstate.  Bumper-to-bumper luxury SUVs going 90 in the left lane (no doubt anxious to return to their jobs to pay off their Escalades and gambling losses), all with CA plates.  No wonder we're despised by the rest of the country.

Total miles -- 2210
Avg mpg -- 27

Paul

95 LS 5-speed