From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Stefano.Iachella@domain.elided
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 10:20 AM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] EFI and Spica

>In regards to retro fitting cars with newer EFI, the computers at the
>smog check stations in California list the induction system, carbs or
>FI, but I don't believe that they identify to actual type of system. To
>the computer EFI is the same as Spica. I do not believe that it even
>lists the number of carb on carb equipted cars. If you made your
>aftermarket EFI system look like it was factory installed most smog
>testers would not notice the difference, at least for Alfas

I've realized this too, and I'm counting on this to put a twin spark in my
Alfetta. With two blown head gaskets in three years, I'm not in the mood to
do it again when I can put the much talked about engine in - especially
since it should be easier in an Alfetta than a GTV. The twin spark exhaust
manifold could be used with no problems.

There is one hurdle I think about often and have come up with a possible
solution. It's the smog pump and air rail. This item is on the list of
things to check, so it must be in place.
This is a 79 California Alfetta. No way around this until 2009.

I've been thinking to weld a mock up air rail, remove the vanes from the
pump, and mount the pump. There are other makes that used a pump and have a
more straight forward pulley than the toothed pulley of the Spica cars. Some
of the cars have it mounted with a bracket like the alternator, so I don't
think it will be too much of a headache to mount it. I don't think actually
tapping the manifolds is necessary since the engine is much cleaner than the
Spica ones.

The catalytic converter and stove pipe are easy to install, so I'm not
worried about them. In fact the stove pipe is often overlooked anyway. I
plan on thinking this through some more and looking for an engine later this
fall. Comments on this are, of course, welcome.

Stefano
Oakland, CA