Subject: [alfa] CA Bill # AB2683: A Constructive Suggestion

Biba, BS, et al.,

Since we're going to keep getting bills like these introduced every so
often, one might come up with a constructive alternative. After all, nobody
likes air polution. My suggestion might be as follows:

A) For cars built after 1974, go ahead and test the tailpipe emissions, but
provide annual mileage limits allowing the cars to be operated in inverse
proportion to tailpipe emissions, i.e., the cleaner the cars are, the more
miles they can be driven.

B) Allow owners to fit _any_ smog related equipment they desire, regardless
of what came as original equipment, so owners could clean up their car's
emissions to whatever emission level (and mileage limit) they desire.

Aside from digging in heals and / or name calling, if anyone has better
ideas, I'm all ears. In the long run, we're probably going to have to make
some sort of compromise.

RON