Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:01:51 -0400
From: Gil Gagne
Subject: [alfa] RE:[Alfa] Spider Gas Pedal More Legroom

My latest version of the Spider gas pedal modification yields even more
legroom by eliminating the aluminum plate that supports the two
rollerblade skate bearings. I simply bolted the two skate bearings
directly to the end of the pedal linkage (after first removing the pedal
extension) with a short 10-32 machine bolt. Since the hole in the
bearings is 5/16 inch, I first cut about 0.3 inch of a 5/16 roll pin
with a hacksaw and pressed that into the central hole of the bearings to
decrease the hole diameter to that of the 10-32 machine bolt. I also
used an angle grinder to grind off the top corner of the gas pedal
linkage which protruded slightly above the skate bearings.

This setup does not make use of the pedal end-of-travel stop, but
neither did my original mod and I used that for years without any
problem. I also find that mashing the accelerator now brings my foot
into contact with the floor mounted stop and serves the same purpose.

Gil
Port Orange, FL
1985 Spider