[alfa] Re: Milano engine re & re

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:07:25 -0400
Jeff Greenfield wrote:
 Carson -

 In reference to your comment below ... You do not need to get to the
starter
 to remove the cables when pulling the engine. If you follow the harness
from
 the starter, it connects to a junction block at the firewall. You can
 disconnect it there, and remove the engine, starter, manifolds, and
starter
 harness as one.

 A little late now, but might be worth knowing for future reference. BTW,
 this is all in the factory manual if you follow the step by step
procedure
 for engine removal :-)

 Jeff

 <Whoever designed the starter install on these
 cars should be shot, what an unbelievable PITA to change a starter. I
 didn't even want to, put you have to undo it to get the cable out.... >
 <Whoever designed the starter install on these
 cars should be shot, what an unbelievable PITA to change a starter. I
 didn't even want to, put you have to undo it to get the cable out.... >

FWIW, Carson is dealing with the Milano configuration (battery in engine
bay; + cable from battery directly to starter), while Jeff is refering to
GTV-6 (battery in trunk; + cable terminal on firewall); similar, but
different.  Each is correct for his arena of experience.  IMHO that the
starter is not all that difficult to r&r, especially with the motor out
of the car.  The cable is tucked behind the starter to protect it from
the heat of the exhaust manifold.  It gets easier with practice - I'm
sure is what you wanted to hear (try doing it with the motor in the car
in  January with that cold Canadian air blowing up your *ss).

Graham L. Davis'89 Milano Verde, etc.St. Louis, MO