[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #33

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:08:39 -0400
From: "Scott Johnson" <scott@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Another might have been? (let the flames begin!)

http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/pontiacsolstice.html

Saw this thing in AUTOMOBILE magazine over the weekend and I can't stop being amazed by it. If they actually manage to bring it in at $20,000 (as noted in the magazine), I don't think they'll be able to build them fast enough.
I was also impressed when I first saw the prototype a while back.  But it's
hard to shake the foreboding feeling that Pontiac will screw this up somehow.

You know, a real fantasy would be to have something like this with a twinspark or the 3.2L motor in it. I would seriously drool over something like a "Powered by Alfa Romeo" (a-la "suspension by lotus") in this thing.
From the pictures of the engine compartment, I think you'd have a real
tough time putting the Alfa V6 in there.  Maybe the 4, but how much more
HP would the 2.0L twinspark make over the 170 that's already there?
It will probably rev more freely than a 2.4L, but what would GM get out
of doing it?

-dbs
Making me itch... gotta go drive the spider!

Scott Johnson
71 1750 Spider