[alfa] What is this FISPA device?

I'm trying to bring a '79 spider back to life that has not run for several years. The estate of the deceased PO indicated the engine had been changed and never ran well after the swap, but had no first-hand information. The new engine's number is consistent with a 79, but the swap was done by a non alfa mechanic. In reviewing the Spica system I found two small FISPA devices in both the inlet and outlet lines to the injection pump. I've never seen these things before: aluminum, with a cylindrical body 31mm long and 20mm in diameter, two connecting nipples for an overall length of 70mm. It looks like a filter, has a directional arrow - if you blow into it in the direction of the arrow, it will "hold" then release and pass flow when sufficient force is applied. If blown from the opposite side it will not release.

My guess is that it is some kind of pressure regulator, and should be located downstream of the injection pump. On the 79 spider, one of these devices was on backward to the intake side of the injection pump, and I'm hoping that it was the source of the yet to be started spider's problem. I have lots of experience with Spica, but only up to'76 115 models, and none of these alfas have the device. Was it something used on late models or Alfettas?

Can anyone identify this device and tell me its proper installation. Which side of the injection pump? How many are used - 1 or 2 ? Is it a pressure regulator?

thanks, //KCT, Powell TN