[alfa] Re: Running out of gas - maybe

Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 07:42:50 -0500
From: John Brase <jbrase@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] GTV6 Running out of gas - maybe

Here's a new puzzler.  My habit is is to assume that as long as I can
make my low fuel light blink off I've still got fuel.  When it stays
yellow it's time to "find a station, dude."  This has worked in all my
Alfas for the last 35 years or so.  So, a couple weeks ago I pull out of
my after work watering hole and the light blinks on briefly.  No
problem, I'll fuel in the morning.  The light is on more and off less
but as long as it still goes off I'm good.  Half way home I punch it a
little and the car judders badly.  My first thought was a blown donut it
juddered that badly.  But there was no vibration off throttle or with
easy throttle.  Big vibration with anything over the
egg-on-the-gas-pedal method of driving.  Next morning, same thing.  I
drive to the gas station and fill up and the problem goes away.  OK, I
was running out of gas.  But that's strange.  Only running out when I
mash the loud pedal?

So, over the next few days I run that tank out and this time the big
engine miss and attendant judder starts just as soon as the fuel light
blinks.  Refueling solves the problem.  So maybe I've got water in the
tank and it's sucking water when the gas gets low.  I throw in a can of
Stay-Dry (or whatever it's called) to soak up the water.  If there is
any.

Yesterday I hit the interstate on my way to work and as I apex the ramp
and nail it ('cause it's fun) the motor flutters and judders like mad.
I look and I'm just under a quarter tank - nowhere near light blinking
level.  So I keep driving, 27 miles, no problem as long as I stay in
balloon-foot mode.  I fuel it and all is well again.

I suppose the fuel level at which it goes fuel starved will keep rising,
half tank, three quarters...  Pretty soon I won't be able to leave the
pump.

So what's going on here?

John

Coincidently, I am having the identical problem with my Verde.  I suspect
that the in-tank plastic filter screen is clogged near it's base.  Both
GTV-6's and Milano's use the same in-tank filter, # 60523429 which Jon
Norman of Alfa-Parts, Berkley www.alfa_parts.com lists for $22.68.  The
filter stands about 6" tall and is threaded into the bottom of
the tank.  When the tank is low, drain it by disconnecting the hose from
the inlet side of the fuel pump.   Best to have a pair of 5 gallon empty
cans at the ready; but if you have only one container I would guess that
in today's market you would not have difficulty finding someone willing
to accept a 'donation' provided you first run the fuel through a paper
filter.  When empty, follow the line back and remove the large banjo
fitting with it's 27mm hex bolt.  The filter is above with a 32mm hex.

Graham L. Davis'89 Milano Verde, etc.St. Louis, MO