Re: [alfa] Adjusting timing on an 86 Spider, Distributor Position

Kevin,

I pulled out my shop manual, just to be sure, and you are right: the center line of the rotor should be lined up with that thin line cut in the top edge of the distributor body when the "F" mark on the crank pulley lines up with the reference pointer. The business end of the distributor rotor is rounded to provide constant clearance with the cap electrodes. After securely clamping the distributor base, check the ignition timing at 950+/-50 RPM and look for "F" mark on the pulley to line up with the reference pointer; this will be 11 +/- 1 degree BTDC.
Gil
Port Orange,FL
1985 Spider

< On my distributor there was a thin line cut in the metal rim that I <assumed was where the center of the rotor should be with the #1 at TDC. <Should I assume that this places the leading edge of the rotor as you <say at the correct spot on the cap?