[alfa] GTV6 Running out of gas - maybe

Here's a new puzzler. My habit is is to assume that as long as I can make my low fuel light blink off I've still got fuel. When it stays yellow it's time to "find a station, dude." This has worked in all my Alfas for the last 35 years or so. So, a couple weeks ago I pull out of my after work watering hole and the light blinks on briefly. No problem, I'll fuel in the morning. The light is on more and off less but as long as it still goes off I'm good. Half way home I punch it a little and the car judders badly. My first thought was a blown donut it juddered that badly. But there was no vibration off throttle or with easy throttle. Big vibration with anything over the egg-on-the-gas-pedal method of driving. Next morning, same thing. I drive to the gas station and fill up and the problem goes away. OK, I was running out of gas. But that's strange. Only running out when I mash the loud pedal?

So, over the next few days I run that tank out and this time the big engine miss and attendant judder starts just as soon as the fuel light blinks. Refueling solves the problem. So maybe I've got water in the tank and it's sucking water when the gas gets low. I throw in a can of Stay-Dry (or whatever it's called) to soak up the water. If there is any.

Yesterday I hit the interstate on my way to work and as I apex the ramp and nail it ('cause it's fun) the motor flutters and judders like mad. I look and I'm just under a quarter tank - nowhere near light blinking level. So I keep driving, 27 miles, no problem as long as I stay in baloon-foot mode. I fuel it and all is well again.

I suppose the fuel level at which it goes fuel starved will keep rising, half tank, three quarters... Pretty soon I won't be able to leave the pump.

So what's going on here?

John