RE: [alfa] Adjusting timing on an 86 Spider, Distributor Position

Kevin -

I believe your query on spark timing was misunderstood: you may be wanting to re-adjust the clamp mechanism at the base of the distributor which does not affect the spark timing, only the gap between the rotor and the cap terminals as the timing changes. If the distributor is rotated, the gap may become too long at certain spark settings by the computer and the engine may not fire. The distributor rotor rotates CW as the engine turns and the proper position of the rotor, when the crank is at TDC for cylinder #1, is such that the leading edge of the rotor is just opposite the cap electrode for #1 cylinder. This way, at maximum spark advance, the spark will jump back to electrode #1 from the trailing edge of the rotor. Hope this helps, otherwise contact me off-line.
Gil
Port Orange, FL
1985 Spider

<After the long winded prelude my question is this: How does one set the
<timing on an 86 Spider? The shop manual mentions that it should be 11
<+-1 degrees BTDC at 950 +-50 RPMs and also says to not turn the
<distributor or face serious consequences. Being that I did rather <gross
<adjustments just to get it running again by violating the warning I
<wanted to verify that I'm within spec but if I'm not how do I adjust
<it? I searched the digest archives in vain, saw a couple similar
<questions to mine but no responses on list.>