[alfa] Electric Windows Query

My 82 Spider is looking tired on the inside. So I'm rebuilding the interior
trim, including door panels.

Over the past year the electric window on the driver side has been moving
up slower and slower until now, it requires assist by pulling up on the glass.

I checked the voltage for up and down, both read 11.2V, or full power with
the winter state battery, exactly the same as the passenger side which is
working well. I loosened the two nuts that hold the motor in place and then
let the motor run in both directions while I tried to hold the gear drive.
I can't hold it and it feels like the same torque in both directions. I
dusted off the manual emergency window winder and tried it with and without
the motor engaged to the regulator...it felt fine, exactly the same as the
passenger side.

Help?

I'm now facing replacement of the regulator, an expensive proposition. Is
there anything else I should try? I must also replace the door check strap
and experience suggests that loosening the regulator eases the problem of
sliding the mechanism past the regulator so perhaps this is the time to R&R
the regulator, the window guides etc.

Any suggestions welcomed.