[alfa] More On Stabilitant 22 And the Alfa Romeo Control Unit

Its interesting how the Stabilitant 22 has affected the ARCU on my '91 164S.
You all may recall I juiced up the contacts on the ARCU with S/22, including
two that looked burned by repeated arcing from the pin to the socket.  One
of these was burned pretty badly.  Now when I first start the car, the brake
pad warning lamp and the "helper" light are on all the time (not flashing as
before).  Within a few minutes, these lamps go to flashing and then to off
all the time.

I think the S/22 is trying to "decide" whether this is a circuit that should
be enhanced or an open connection which should be isolated.  It is my
understanding that S/22 actually performs both these functions.  Once it
"decides" to enhance the contact, the lamps tend to stay out.  As the wise
man once asked of the thermos that keeps hot drinks hot and cold drinks
cold, "How does it know?"

All of this suggests, however, that S/22 is not the complete answer.  The
real answer is clear:  clean up the burned pins and replace the burned out
sockets and then re-apply S/22 to a more healthy contact.  This will have to
wait until someone more patient than I (its you, Jeff) has time to do this
for me.

Rex in Albany