[alfa] Duetto Fuel Filter

A few days back I noticed that the fuel filter assembly on my '66 Duetto was leaking. I first suspected the hoses, but they turned out to be fine. Instead the copper connection over which the fuel line to the carburetors fits had worked it way loose and was the culprit. After a little fiddling I took the filter assembly out and pressed the fitting further into the body of the filter using a vise. This seems to have cured it, but I am not sure this will last, and I don't want a fire.

So I have two questions for the list. First, has this happened to anyone else? If it has, is there a fix that lasts? Secondly, do these filters do anything other than filter (e.g., regulate pressure)? If they don't, it seems like a trivial task to just slip a modern disposal fuel filter into the line. Apart from being unoriginal, does anyone have any profound objections to that?

Thanks in advance,
Alex Swaim